Under the direction of the Practice Manager and guided by the policies and procedures of the Ambulatory Services and the department, the OBGYN Patient Navigator for Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Maternal-Fetal Medicine assists in the delivery of patient-centered care to all patients empaneled within the practice.
This position provides individualized assistance and support to patients, serving as a resource and advocate for patients across the lifespan. At OBGYN, we are committed to providing the highest quality care to our entire patient population, including those with chronic illness and/or other high-risk conditions that make them more vulnerable. The service is offered to patients from their initial visit & throughout their care journey.
The Patient Navigator plays a critical role in the patient experience including community outreach, optimizing patient services, and working collaboratively with the team to create a patient-centered environment. This service has been created to provide the necessary support, education, coordination, and resources for these patients, with the goals of improving health, as well as decreasing unnecessary medical costs.
The OBGYN Patient Navigator provides patient care coordination by serving as a liaison between a patient and the practitioners and services they may require. This involves developing expertise in the operations and systems underlying all service areas directly or indirectly related to pregnancy, including UCSF interdepartmental support for patients receiving care outside of OBGYN.
This position also employs analytical and risk stratification tools to identify patient subsets requiring a higher level of support in care coordination activities. The position requires self-high degree of independence, initiative, as well as exceptional social skills, and emotional intelligence in order to support patients with a wide variety of psycho-social needs and effectively communicate with faculty and staff throughout the clinical enterprise.
This position is a vital and integral part of the patient-centric care mission of the department. It is the common goal of these programs to ensure women have full, equitable, and convenient access to the clinical services they require and to the women-sensitive health education information needed to make informed decisions about their care.
This position requires excellent oral and written communication skills; can work well with minimal supervision in a complex, fast pace and challenging environment, and. must be able to manage and mitigate patient clinical and administrative issues and respond directly to department and Health System leadership. S/he is required to comply with the UCSF House and Telephone Standards and is sensitive to the needs of patients, staff, and providers at all times
- Bachelor's Degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Acquiring knowledge of Patient Rights & Responsibilities, Joint Commission standards, and Centers for Medicare / Medicaid regulations; knowledge of Medical Terminology; knowledge of data collection, compilation, and analytical techniques
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, demanding environment with minimal supervision; ability to manage and oversee multiple tasks simultaneously, including high daily call volume
- Skills to comprehend and assess patient's grievances to quickly locate appropriate resource for assistance; working knowledge of the organization and how to get issues resolved
- Solid interpersonal and customer service skills; ability to be diplomatic and highly organized; ability to remain calm under pressure and apply sound judgment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Proficiency with Windows-based software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook; knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area
- The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations
- Proficiency with EPIC Medical Record Software
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what's possible for the patients we serve - a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Consistently ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report - UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence - also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity - both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
004199 PAT NAVGTR NON-CLIN 2
99 - Policy-Covered (No Bargaining Unit)